These past few weeks, I've been feeling very diva-ish.I talk like a kitchen diva in my head as I prepare the ingredients, explaining the cooking steps one at a time as if I had an audience in front of me hehehehe. The thing is, I truly have found a sense of joy in cooking. I remember when I used to read articles or hear people say "It's such joy to cook", i'd think, bah-hum-bug.
The joy comes from your self-expression in the dishes you make. Every time I roll some dough or shape it into a cookie, I smile. Every time I watch something materialize into the colour, shapes and aroma I desire, I smile.
Of course, I'm not perfect. I've only begun a few weeks ago but I must tell you. It's been wonderful!
The education : So what have I learned these past few week of cooking?
Dodo Disaster # 1: The damn ghee Munchies were soooo sweet!!!!!! Felt so dizzy! Thanks for the tip Kak Suma: "Always taste the cookie the next day and never just after baking! The sweetness sets in after half a day or more and don't follow all recipes where is sugar is concerned. You have to experiment."
Dodo Disaster #2: Always google cooking terms and don't assume . An egg wash, which I learned for the first time, is when you beat an egg with another liquid such as water or milk to coat the outer layer of pastries. The egg wash is what gives the pastry a golden or brownish finish. I on the other hand thought all I needed to do was brush beaten eggs like a mad person on the pastry.
Dodo Disaster #3 : It's always good to plan your menu ahead so that you don't waste time!Other wise a simple dish could take your hours more to execute. ( I'm very spontaneous and don't have a fixed schedule so this is gonna take a lot of discipline on my part. Something I have to work on :)
Well, if at first you don't succeed.....try again dodo!
No comments:
Post a Comment