Tuesday, 16 August 2011

Dodo's Kitchen : Baked Dried Prawn Curry Puffs



This is something I sort of conjured on my own based on the following link. I took the pastry recipe directly from the link http://theduckquacking.blogspot.com/search?q=curry+puffs  .However because i'm only making for 1. I modified the measurement by dividing it into 3 (see link for original quantity) :-

Pastry
1) 170 grams of plain flour
2) 50 grams of butter
3) 1/2 a beaten egg ( no worries, other half can be used for egg wash)
4) 17 ml iced water
5) pinch of salt
6) 1/2 a cap of vanilla essence

This makes about 20 puffs.

Filling Ingredients:


1) 1 big russet potato (dice sized)
2) 2 teaspoons chilli powder
3) 1 teaspoon masala powder
4) 1 teaspoon fish curry powder
5) some curry leaves
6) some dried prawns (up to you but i think 3 tablespoons is enough)
7) 3 tablespoons of green peas
8) salt
9) ground black pepper
10) 1 small onion

Cooking Steps:


Filling
1) Stir fry onions, curry leaves, potato and dried prawns.
2) Then add all the powders. Stir fry for about 2 minutes and give it a good mix. Add extra powders etcetera to your liking.
3) Add water. Not too much though, just enough to cover the potatoes.
4) Add some salt and black pepper.Try.
5) Cook it till the potatoes are soft and the curry dries up well or you'll have a problem when you bake! The juices will seep out.
6) Once it's dry. Try it. Add salt and pepper to your liking.

Pastry:
1) Roll out the pastry flat. Make sure it's not too thick. I realized this when I tried a few first. Thin it out but not too thin until it breaks apart.
2) Lay the rolled out pastry on your curry puff maker and put the filling in. Don't stuff it to the max. Leave some room or your puffs seal won't hold when it bakes.
3) Do the egg wash! Mix the beaten egg with a little milk and brush on the outer layer of the pastry before you put it in the oven. I only brushed it with egg and not egg wash. So I didn't get a nice golden finish!

Oven Setting: 

1) Preheat 150C
2) Bake for 20-25 minutes

* If you ask me, after tasting the puffs, I would have personally added another 10-15 grams of butter. Nevertheless, it was tasty!






No comments:

Post a Comment