Tuesday, 9 August 2011

The Theme!

 I've finally decided on the direction in which I'd like to go where this blog is concerned.  I want to visit "virtual kitchens" of friends, family and people in general who love to cook! I am not sure if I ever will, but am currently not interested in recipes by famous chefs/cook/etcetera. I am interested in everyday people and everyday recipes!

The idea of this blog began a few weeks back when a friend of mine, Sarah, stayed over for a couple of weeks and we ended up spending some time cooking. Well, one morning I decided to make an omellete for another friend who was staying over (Thulsy) but all I had were tomatoes and eggs. Because it was early in the morning, I was too lazy to chop the tomatoes into tiny bits so I thought "why not half the tomatoes and stuff scrambled eggs into it and cook them in a pot for a while so the tomatoes will get all warm, mushy and nice?" The result: very impressive for an idiot like me! The feeling I had that morning was unexplainable. I felt it was my 'aha' moment. This is what I should be doing.This should be my hobby. I' ve never had one by the way.

I am a 'dodo' when it comes to cooking because I lack experience. I can't even fry an egg right. However, my cooking experiences in the last few weeks have changed my own self-perception about me not being able to cook. It's like Chef Gusteau's motto 'Anyone can cook!' is actually possible. I used to make simple pastas, maybe whip something up and my friend Naza who was one of the first to try my cooking (and when I mean cooking - I mean from start to finish and not out of a can) would mouth words of encouragement. I did have my Sardine Rolls, which Arween loves, but that too is technically can food rolled in bread and toasted in an oven.

On FB, many have been asking me how I make the time. Well, I canceled my Astro subscription  a few weeks back too. A social experiment on myself. Reason: TV is depressing ;p and I was turning into a couch potato but now when I look at all the things I have been doing with my time, even I am shocked that I actually have the time! 24 hours seems a lot now. I'm learning a skill now with the help of people and the internet! Proud, proud, proud...and haven't cared that I haven't been for a long time!

Okay I'm being long-winded and full of me again. Anyway, these past 3 weeks have been amazing! When I started following my gut, creativity and simple recipes (i'm not into the serious science of cooking), for the first time in my life, I've begun feeling like a real you-can-eat-my-food-cook :) . I actually feel happy! I will be posting my own self-conjured recipes, simple recipes from the internet etcetera but  I hope, more than anything, to visit as many virtual kitchens around Malaysia before the year ends and from there....who knows :)

There's no stopping me!

No comments:

Post a Comment